Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Dark Ash and Dark Walnut Dresser




 Hello. Hope your having a wonderful day. I have a great piece to share today. I haven't done much work with mixing paint and wood tones. I love how it looks when others do them, but I'm a little more hesitant to do them myself. When I first brought this piece home, I thought is was going to be a nice navy blue.


Fortunately for me, I had second thoughts. I feel a masculine yet classic grey would do it more justice. Then looking at the line features, I thought " why not leave them dark stained? ". Worse case it doesn't look as I envisioned, and I paint them afterwards.


I was right!! I love the look. I used Behr paint in Ash Grey, also using my home-made chalk paint recipe. Cheap alternative, when I want custom colors. I used a sample pot from Home Depot {$5} and some Plaster of Paris {$5-and it makes appr. 30 batches}, you really can't go wrong with that price.


I did touch up the wood finish with a little of my favorite stain, Minwax Dark Walnut. The handles didn't take as well to the traditional stain, so I went with the gel stain instead. Worked like a charm. I finished it off with Varathane Water based polyurethane finish in clear satin. Durability at its best.


See my lil succulent terrarium. Check out my post on how to create your own here. I am obsessed with succulents right now. I just picked up some more today at the green house. I'm sure you'll see them in the near future.


What do you think, hit or miss on the paint and wood tone together? I think a big fat hit. Thanks for stopping by.


Party Time!!




5 comments:

  1. I love the wood and paint together, but it would probably looked great blue too! It always amazes me how very different furniture looks after a paint makeover, this turned out really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great piece....turned out really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a fantastic job on this! Love the look. Pinning!
    Thank you for sharing your awesome project with us at Brag About It!
    ~Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Thank you for linking up at Friday favorites, I have chosen this as my feature from last week. The part goes live on Thursday at 5pm, head on over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the combination of wood & grey paint - a hit for sure :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I post. It's kinda like going to the post office, I giggle like a school girl when I receive a new comment.