Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Out with the oak, in the with the new


Ever have those days, when things just go right. Today was my day. I had a few hours to entertain myself in the city, this morn from 9 am to noon. Not ideal times for a Sunday? But the stores I wanted to hit, open early. 
First stop...Home Depot. I'm working on a bench made from an old headboard, and needed the Kreg Jig.


This cool tool is going to help me {hubby}, attach the sides to my bench. 
Anyways... I was also in need of a new Purdy Paintbrush. Following the isle.. I checked out the stains, but have yet to try any. Can you believe it? I have not re-stained raw wood. Until today. I bought a can of Varathane Gel Stain in Dark Walnut.


This is the shelf.


Nice yellow oak.

I can't tell you how easy the stain was to apply. When you open it, the gel is quite thick. Kind of like sour cream or yogurt. I bought a foam brush and dipped straight in the jar. Using an even brush stroke, I spread in one direction the length of the shelf. It really is easy to apply. I also taped off the edges, as I'm not a great line cutter.

This is first coat. {i did 2}




I let the gel do its thing for 5 minutes, before wiping {softly}. I used a dry painters rag to wipe off the excess stain. Then followed the same directions for a second coat.

This is the finished shelf.



I also did the small shelf under the bathroom window.


Feeling a bit more ambitious, I did the stair railing to our basement.

Before


After


I love this stuff!! You can't see the thickness of the clear coat on the railing. It made my husband a little weary of how well if would cover. I can't believe how well it did or how fab it looks. You can still see the wood grain. I would recommend Varathane Gel Stain to anyone who wants to change the look of anything. This stuff is excellent for beginners, like myself. Next is the other two flights of railing and any others items I decide to go Dark Walnut.

Take care.


Party Time
savvysouthernstyle
glamorousbride

15 comments:

  1. What a great product. I like anything that's easy with such a wonderful result!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have to sand the wood first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, I didn't sand mine...but the clear coat on them wasnt very thick. I could still feel the wood grain. My railing was a thick gloss. The coverage was good, but took 24 hrs to dry to the touch. The shelf only took 2 hrs. Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing on The Patriotic Pam's link party last weekend. We are featuring this on the new party for this weekend. Stop back by and check out the feature tonight when it goes live at 7pm (EST). So glad you are linking with us.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feature Pam. You have gained a new follower, and will see more from me:)

      Delete
  4. Gel stain is a miracle worker--takes forever to dry, but worth it. Great makeover! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great difference!! I never thought about using it for the handrail on the stairs, def. going to be doing that!! Thank you so much for linking up <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GO FOR IT!!! Honestly, it was the easiest painting I have ever done.

      Delete
  6. Did you sand off the finish original finish before applying the gel stain?
    Looks great!

    Erica
    www.fortheloveofdecorating.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica, Check the message from JoyHester. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

      Delete
  7. The stain color is beautiful. I am going to have to try some if that. Nice job on the shelves and railing! Thank you for sharing it at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Featuring you tonight :O)
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks 1000 times better! Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on anything I post. It's kinda like going to the post office, I giggle like a school girl when I receive a new comment.